Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Surgery Tomorrow

Well, tomorrow is the day. I am to report to the hospital tomorrow morning at 6:15 am; with surgery beginning at 8:30 am. I am still listening to my meditation cd, however, I am having trouble staying asleep. I just want to get it over with at this point. The "good news" if you have ever had any surgery before, is that once you fall asleep from the anesthesia, the next thing you will remember is waking up. It is like a blink of an eye.

My surgeon said he will be fusing T3-L2, but that could change depending on what happens during the surgery. He expects that he will have 50-60% correction of my 60 degree curve. I am hoping he is able to get more than that, but ill be happy with that.

Side note, I have been showering with  a generic Hibiclens which kills and continues to kill bacteria off of my skin for several hours.  I want to reduce the chances of getting an infection or  MRSA, so I read this is the soap to use. The more you use it, the better it works because it binds to your skin and builds up over time. I recommend using this 4-5 days before surgery (with your doctors approval). My doctor did not give this to me, however, when I asked about it I was told that "it couldn't hurt". My thought, do whatever you can to prevent anything going wrong.


Tonight for dinner I am having soup. Some people say to eat a really good meal before surgery. I have actually read blogs from other people saying to order a steak and eat well. However, that is not a good idea. If you are having this surgery, eat light 1-2 days before and stay away from high fiber foods. Your digestive system will be asleep, so fiber and heavy foods will move a LOT slower which will cause a LOT of discomfort after surgery (which I heard can be just as bad than the back pain)  Once I am home after surgery, ill eat my steak to celebrate. (or better yet, sushi, lots of sushi!) :)

3 comments:

  1. Praying & wishing you the best of luck tomorrow. You will be on my mind. Thank you for the info the Hibiclens cleaner & about not eating heavy a few days before the surgery. I am having foot surgery in a few weeks so will use your suggestions for that. Sending lots of gentle hugs your way. Will be looking forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your surgery went well! It might be another couple days before you feel up to the sushi...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have recovered well from your surgery...have a good life ahead!

    laser spinal surgery Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete